Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Exchange GRT Backups

2011-09-08 09:38:14
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Exchange GRT Backups
From: "Lightner, Jeff" <JLightner AT water DOT com>
To: "Klebba, Don" <DonKlebba AT quickenloans DOT com>, "veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu" <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2011 13:38:08 +0000

We were advised that no deduplication appliance works with GRT restores so even if the backup appeared to work you wouldn’t be able to restore owing to the fact that the data is deduplicated so isn’t really browseable for restores.   We didn’t try the basic storage unit on DD or Quantum DXi – we moved to SAN storage presented to our master and made a storage unit for that.

We still had issues with GRT restores afterwards.   We had recently migrated to Exchange 2010 from Exchange 2003 and apparently there is a known issue at Symantec on converted data – they sent us a binary fix to resolve that issue.   We never went back to try DD or DXi after that mainly because the Exchange admin was sick of dealing with it.

This was all in NBU 7.1.