Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Data Domain Question

2011-08-18 07:52:44
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Data Domain Question
From: scott.george AT parker DOT com
To: VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2011 07:50:57 -0400
If you are currently dumping SQL to disk, more than likely, you are compressing your data.  Your dedup rate will not be good with this data, because of the compression.

When we did our POC, I gave my DBAs specific instructions to send the backups uncompressed.  That way, the DataDomain would catch the actual duplicate blocks.  To my surprise, it actually caught duplicate blocks in the first backup alone.  It only got better from there.  The key is whether you are doing compression or not.

There are DBAs out there that even though you ask them to turn compression off, they will think that you really couldn't mean it.  It runs counter intuitive to how they have been taught.  Just tell them its big in the beginning, but the payoff comes after a week or two.