Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] multipathing with tapes on Linux?

2011-07-27 19:07:10
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] multipathing with tapes on Linux?
From: David Magda <dmagda AT ee.ryerson DOT ca>
To: "Stier, Matthew" <Matthew.Stier AT us.fujitsu DOT com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2011 19:07:04 -0400
On Jul 27, 2011, at 17:36, Stier, Matthew wrote:

> Creating zones or vlans is easily done on any modern managed switch (FC
> or Ethernet).
>
> A concern I have, is the IO bus of the system you are using. Even the
> PCI-e bus has bandwidth limits, and depending how the system is
> designed, even a single port HBA may have to share bandwidth with
> adjacent slots.
>
> With some detail as to the environment, you could probably get better
> help.
>
> What system is your media server?
>
> What vendor do you use for your SAN?
>
> Are you writing D2T or D2D2T?

The hardware in question is an HP DL380 G5, with the 10 GigE NIC in one PCIe
slot, and dual-ported HBAs in two other slots. Each card is in one of
"full-size" slots as indicated by the number 12 in the following diagram:

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12477_na/12477_na.html

These slots have a separate bus number (14, 23, 19), so I'm guessing that
they're generally independent of each other. Slot 3 (bus 14) is listed as
having an X4 bus bandwidth, and the other two are X8. Since each PCI Express
(v1) lane is 2 Gb/s, it means that we have 8, 16, and 16 Gb/s available.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI_Express

We won't be using this to back up any SANs, but mostly the stand alone clients.
For our storage systems (mostly Blue Arc and Isilon) we're doing NDMP over FC.
Currently we're doing D2T.

This architecture was set up over two years ago, and we've grown our cluster
storage by about 2-3x since then, so it's high time we looked at it again.