Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Open file backup error

2011-06-08 11:17:39
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Open file backup error
From: <Rusty.Major AT sungard DOT com>
To: bob944 <bob944 AT attglobal DOT net>
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2011 10:17:31 -0500
Hey Bob, it's not FUD. VSP has been problematic since, I don't know, 4.5? It would fail to release the lock on the file and therefore you would end up with GB files filling up the filesystems which sometimes required a reboot to be able to delete. It didn't happen consistently, but it was frequent enough to cause problems on those systems so at my previous job we moved away from it.

I agree with you that MS took too long to come out with VSS. But now that VSS is around and works very well (most of the time), there is no reason for VSP.

Rusty Major, MCSE, BCFP, VCS ▪ Sr. Storage Engineer ▪ SunGard Availability Services ▪ 757 N. Eldridge Suite 200, Houston TX 77079 ▪ 281-584-4693
Keeping People and Information Connected® ▪ http://availability.sungard.com/
P Think before you print
CONFIDENTIALITY:  This e-mail (including any attachments) may contain confidential, proprietary and privileged information, and unauthorized disclosure or use is prohibited.  If you received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender and delete this e-mail from your system.

bob944 <bob944 AT attglobal DOT net>
Sent by: <veritas-bu-bounces AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>

06/08/2011 04:34 AM

<veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
cc
<simon.weaver AT astrium.eads DOT net>
Subject
Re: [Veritas-bu] Open file backup error

> I would agree! VSP is dire!! Ignore it. I can say that in all my 11+
> years in NBU, I turned it off !

I have to throw the BS flag here.  That's just FUD.

Until Microsoft finally came up with VSS in w2k3, the OS vendor
provided *zero* tools for open file backups.  Veritas had been filling
that void since... what, 3.2 c. 1999 or so?  OTM (pre 4.5fp6) and the
Veritas-written replacement, VSP, functioning in the horribly flaky
world of Microsoft device drivers, do a pretty good job of getting a
consistent version of write-locked files that the OS won't otherwise
allow to be read.  The admin had to do his part--configure VSP, have
the snap space and not let his PC's antivirus program lock the snaps.

And while I'm being bitchy, are there more than three people left on
this mailing list WITH THE COURTESY TO EFFING TRIM THEIR 400-LINE