Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Backup Schedules

2011-06-07 18:39:50
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Backup Schedules
From: A Darren Dunham <ddunham AT taos DOT com>
To: veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2011 22:39:43 +0000
On Wed, Jun 01, 2011 at 08:44:33AM +0200, Sumeeth Singh (S) wrote:
> I have read through the sysadmin guides and they mention that
> frequency takes precedence when multiple schedules are configured over
> the same timeframe, however calendar based scheduling does not use
> frequency.

Correct.  (also, be sure that all start windows are identical across
schedules, otherwise both may be run).

> All backups should be based on calendar schedule:
>
> Dailys - Mon,Tues,Wed,Thurs,Fri.
>
> Weeklys - Sat (All)
>
> Monthlys - Sat (Last)
>

> I am hoping that due to the inherent longer frequency in a monthly job
> (between runs) that it would take precedence over the weekly on the
> last Saturday.

There is no concept of "frequency" in calendar jobs.  It may be obvious
to you that the single selection of last Saturday is less frequent than
all Saturdays, but not to NBU.

At one time, I thought I came across some documentation that said that
calendar schedules were given priority based on alphabetic order of the
name.  I have some "black magic" policies where I have done this and
they work wonderfully and consistently (actually migrated from 5.x
systems and currently running on 6.5.5), but I have not been able to
find the documentation where I think I read this, nor have I done
extensive work to see if it's correct.

I have a companion site on 6.5.6 with some very similarly configured
policies, and that one has some issues with incorrectly re-running
successful jobs.  I don't know if it's a particular problem with 6.5.6,
or if this just shouldn't work.

--
Darren