Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] VM File Level Backups and not Full VMDK with file level restores

2011-05-26 14:48:11
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] VM File Level Backups and not Full VMDK with file level restores
From: "Jimenez, Daniel" <Daniel.Jimenez AT owb DOT com>
To: "veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu" <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2011 11:47:52 -0700

I originally sent out the question below regarding 3rd party software that can do actual file level backups on VM’s without using a Netbackup client and without using VCB which is going away in 2013. There were lots of responses but none of which actually answered my question. Netbackup currently does full VMDK with file level restores or backup client which can do file level but the cost is higher than doing the backups via VCB. The full VMDK with file level restores using Netbackup API’s adds unnecessary data to our storage since we are very specific on what we backup. So we are looking for something that will take over for VCB and not add unnecessary data to our storage. So please respond if you currently have an alternate 3rd party software that you use to do file level, thanks.

Daniel Jimenez
Backup and Recovery Team