Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Netbackup for vSphere 4

2011-05-18 13:53:52
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Netbackup for vSphere 4
From: "Martin, Jonathan" <JMARTI05 AT intersil DOT com>
To: <VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2011 13:53:49 -0400

Just wanted to follow-up on this older thread I started a few weeks back and say that nbd for VMware (non-shared storage) is working as intended at impressive speeds. I’ve got approximately 50GB of Windows test VMs and they are consistently pulling 60MB/sec. Granted this is an idle test system and 60MB/sec isn’t driving LTO5. But a comparative Windows Client backup of the same systems only averaged 8MB/sec. I could probably get that closer to 60MB/sec by multiplexing several streams from different VMs, but that would introduce all the negative restore aspects of multiplexing. Overall, very impressive and I look forward to rolling this into production and trying to best that 250MB/sec from George Winter’s Cisco UCS presentation. =P

Environment:

NBU 7.1 on Windows 2008R2 with LTO5 Drive

VMware ESXi 4.1 U1 with 4 x 15K 146GB SAS Drives in Raid-10

-Jonathan