Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] RMAN and NetBackup Question

2011-05-13 15:48:20
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] RMAN and NetBackup Question
From: "Mark Glazerman" <Mark.Glazerman AT spartech DOT com>
To: "Justin Piszcz" <jpiszcz AT lucidpixels DOT com>, "Patrick" <netbackup AT whelan-consulting.co DOT uk>
Date: Fri, 13 May 2011 14:46:18 -0500
The retention parameters set inside RMAN trump anything set in NBU.  Have your
DBA's log into RMAN and confirm their own retention settings for RMAN backups.
We had an issue a while ago where we were asked to run a full database backup
from inside NBU of a database and then keep that backup indefinitely while the
DBA's played around with one of our instances.  Even though the DBA's had
requested this, they didn't change their RMAN settings and even though
Netbackup could still see the images created during the backup in the catalog,
the RMAN backup pieces were purged from the RMAN catalog after 4 days.

Mark Glazerman
Desk: 314-889-8282
Cell: 618-520-3401
 please don't print this e-mail unless you really need to