Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] NetBackup 7.1 media server backup issue

2011-05-06 16:04:00
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] NetBackup 7.1 media server backup issue
From: <Rusty.Major AT sungard DOT com>
To: <Jim.Canon AT mylan DOT com>
Date: Fri, 6 May 2011 15:03:46 -0500
When we've encountered these issues and the logs were no help, we had to narrow down the problem by creating multiple backups or streams. This approach allowed us to narrow down the culprit by eventually closing in on a bad file during the backup.

Rusty Major, MCSE, BCFP, VCS ▪ Sr. Storage Engineer ▪ SunGard Availability Services ▪ 757 N. Eldridge Suite 200, Houston TX 77079 ▪ 281-584-4693
Keeping People and Information Connected® ▪ http://availability.sungard.com/
P Think before you print
CONFIDENTIALITY:  This e-mail (including any attachments) may contain confidential, proprietary and privileged information, and unauthorized disclosure or use is prohibited.  If you received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender and delete this e-mail from your system.

<Jim.Canon AT mylan DOT com>
Sent by: <veritas-bu-bounces AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>

05/06/2011 10:41 AM

Girish Jorapurkar <girishsj AT yahoo DOT com>
cc
<veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Subject
Re: [Veritas-bu] NetBackup 7.1 media server backup issue

Girish,

A file read error is what it appears, however (bpbkar -nocont /
> /dev/null) completes with status 0.

Here is where it gets strange. I've also tried creating a storage unit that
uses /dev/null as it's basic disk pool. I've then set the backup policy to
use this storage unit. This backup fails with the same error as if I use a
storage unit and disk pool pointing to our data domain.

Thanks,

--
Jim Canon
Sr. Data Protection Analyst