Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] NetBackup 7.1

2011-04-29 13:57:30
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] NetBackup 7.1
From: "Lightner, Jeff" <jlightner AT water DOT com>
To: "Justin Piszcz" <jpiszcz AT lucidpixels DOT com>
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2011 13:57:23 -0400
NetBackup was locked up and certain parts of the Linux OS weren't
working.  (e.g. I couldn't run ps -ef and get full output - it would
hang).   If I ran "cat /proc/stat" I would see process_blocked was
showing 5 or higher whereas without these big things running it is
typically at 0 or 1.

At present I suspect this is more an issue with the server or its
configuration than with NetBackup.   I haven't yet had a chance to delve
into it owing to the other issues and since I have a work around (other
media servers) I've put it on the back burner.  It works fine for most
of our other UNIX/Linux/Windows backups.   I saw similar issues on a
RHEL5 Media server back when we were doing 6.5.4.   On that server when
trying to push backups to dedupe units it was experiencing similar hangs
but when pushing to the tape library it wasn't.  Since we got a new disk
array and san switches at the same time as the library it may simply be
we need to throttle things back or it could be an issue with the NFS
stack.