Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] LT04 Encryption.

2011-04-25 15:09:26
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] LT04 Encryption.
From: Justin Piszcz <jpiszcz AT lucidpixels DOT com>
To: Ulises Rodriguez <ulises.rodriguez AT wallst DOT com>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2011 15:09:21 -0400 (EDT)
On Mon, 25 Apr 2011, Ulises Rodriguez wrote:

> All,
>
> What is the best way to implement encryption for tape with LT04 tape drives.
> I have seen that some of you are using KMS. Is this the best method? I need
> to make sure that my tapes are encrypted with 3DES. Is the KMS function
> included with NBU 6.5.5 in Windows 2003 64 bit?
>
> My current encryption device is coming to end of life. This is the main
> reason I need to be looking at the different options.
>
> Just trying to get some ideas.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Uli.

Hi,

Yes KMS, it works, little to no speed difference, with 6.5.x you only
get a maximum of 2 key groups though, e.g. two volume groups that you can
use, with 7.0 there are more.

I believe(?) the first version that supported it was 6.5.2, but it has been
awhile.

For the OS, good question, also note, I've seen issues if your tape drive
isn't a certain firmware rev in relation to the HBA firmware, the backups
break and the fiber hba/link resets it self, make sure to do a lot of testing
first.

Justin.