Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Looking for recommendations for Fibre Channel attached SAN box.

2011-04-22 16:41:05
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Looking for recommendations for Fibre Channel attached SAN box.
From: "Stier, Matthew" <matthew.stier AT us.fujitsu DOT com>
To: "veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu" <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2011 20:40:40 +0000

I have a Overland Storage REO 9000 that I purchased years ago, with the intent to use as a VTL to front my NEO 8000 library with LTO3 drives.

After an evaluation period, I decided against using the REO as a VTL, and simply partitioned the REO into 8 LUN’s and attached the LUN’s to my Sun Microsystems master/media server, (via FC) to be used as DSSU storage pools.

Overland Storage, via my vendor, is reporting that they will stop support for the unit, at the end of this calendar year.  (Basically, the drives are no longer being manufactured.)

I’ve looked at Overland’s offerings, and am considering their SnapSAN S1000 as a possible replacement.

I’ve got a few months to plan.  Any other FC SAN boxes I should consider?

The needs are minimal.  Must support Solaris 10 (SPARC) and Windows 2003 and 2008.  (and possible RHEL in the future)

The REO 9000 has 8TB of space and 2Gbps FC connections.  I’m willing to go bigger, but don’t need to.

--

Matthew Stier