Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] three copes with ost

2011-03-05 15:39:36
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] three copes with ost
From: "bob944" <bob944 AT attglobal DOT net>
To: <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2011 15:39:17 -0500
> I will start using OST for my primary site (NY) and secondary (NJ)
> with cross replication.   I also want a third copy going to tape,
> but I want the tape to be created at NY (for all backups, NY and
> NJ).  here is my question...
>
> With Storage Lifecycle, for my NJ backups, if I create a copy to
> tape, then it will read from my primary (NJ), so it will kill my NY-
> NJ link.  Is there a way that I can tell it to use the second copy
> that is now in NY?  Or can I make the NY primary?

Two SLPs should be all you need to force dups to work the way you
want.

NY
backup to NY disk
  duplicate to NJ disk [from NY disk]
  duplicate to NY tape [from NY disk]

NJ
backup to NJ disk
  duplicate to NY disk [from NJ disk]
    duplicate to NY tape [from NY disk]

See "Adding a hierarchical duplication destination" in the NetBackup
Admin Guide.  The indentation is the visual indicator of which backup,
copy or duplication will be the source.  A duplication at the same
indentation level as multiple backup copies will use the primary copy.
There's a good diagram in the guide.