Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] using *.dbf in exclude lists

2011-02-23 16:59:18
Subject: [Veritas-bu] using *.dbf in exclude lists
From: "Stafford, Geoff" <GStafford AT barclaycardus DOT com>
To: <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2011 16:59:01 -0500

I’m hoping I can get a few peoples opinions on using *.dbf (or *.whatever) in exclude lists to avoid backing up Oracle (or whatever) database files.  I’ve always been of the opinion that excluding the directory where the database files are is a better method as it doesn’t require NBU to evaluate each and every file that it attempts to backup so you have less of a load on the client and, in theory, there might be an every so slight increase in backup speeds.  Our database environment, especially on the development/QA side, is very active/transient and new databases are popping up all the time on existing hosts resulting in backing up tons of tons of hot database files which are absolutely worthless.  Putting procedures around creating new databases requiring them to notify us when they create a new database is The Right Way to Do It™ but that’s easier said than done in a dev/qa world.  I’m starting to think that the time required to maintain the exclude lists is becoming more expensive than any performance benefits.

So, all ye great NBU minds, what are your experiences with using *.dbf and have you noticed any ill effects on the client?

Barclays
www.barclaycardus.com

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it may contain confidential and/or proprietary information. It is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity who is the intended recipient. Unauthorized use of this information is prohibited. If you have received this in error, please contact the sender by replying to this message and delete this material from any system it may be on.