Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Celerra backups

2011-02-17 20:10:09
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Celerra backups
From: William Brown <william.d.brown AT gsk DOT com>
To: "VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU" <VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2011 02:09:55 +0100
You've raised a number of issues there!

Most NDMP backups are designed to be 'off-host' i.e. the data goes from the
storage array to the backup medium without much intervention; that makes it
quick but dumb.  The first impact is that the backup data using NDMP is in a
format proprietary to the NAS vendor, so if you backup from a Celerra you can
only restore that data to a Celerra.  Think about that if you plan to keep any
long term, you may finf you have to keep a few very old Celerras also...

There are in NetBackup ways to force the NAS using NDMP to write 'tar' format
rather than a proprietary 'dump' format but you also lose lots by doing so, for
example any dual NFS/CIFS ACLs.

You can from any NDMP NAS use '3-way' backup with the NetBackup
'ndmpmoveragent' on a server - presents TCP/10000 - and acts as a NDMP 'tape
mover'.  AFAIR at 6.0 this just allowed you to use tapes physically
attached/zoned to the server.  Now at 6.5 you can zone tapes to the NAS *and*
normal servers and EMM is supposed to sort out sharing.  I've not tried that
but see no reason why it would not work.

You want to move to DD NAS.. you could have used the DD VTL capability but they
do not seem to plug that now. So far as I know the DD does not offer a direct
NDMP capability, i.e. no daemon on port 10000. I may be wrong.

If I am correct then you must use the 3-way capability of NetBackup but rather
than use a tape STU; use a 'BasicDisk' or OST STU on the DD, that is set up on
your 'NetBackup for NDMP Server', i.e. the server you installed the option on,
and/or configure in the STU.  Some folk use the Master but I am assured that
there is massive IP traffic from you NAS to that server - it sends all the
detail of the paths backed up - the NetBackup for NDMP server collates this and
sends it on to the Master to file in the catalog.  SO I understand the advice
is to not use the Master if you can avoid it, e.g. use one of your Media
Servers.

Your other option is to just mount your Celerra shares on a Media Server and
back them up.  That is the best if your shares are single protocol, e.g. CIFS
or NFS but never both.  If both you cannot do this as whichever way you mount
them you will not be able to backup the permissions etc of the other.

I expect there are fancier snapshot methods also.

HTH

William D L Brown