Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Backup Archive and Restore taking forever on DR server

2011-02-09 23:01:06
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Backup Archive and Restore taking forever on DR server
From: Ed Wilts <ewilts AT ewilts DOT org>
To: Rusty.Major AT sungard DOT com
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2011 22:01:01 -0600
On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 6:10 PM, <Rusty.Major AT sungard DOT com> wrote:
If this is version 7.0.1, there is a hostname caching 'feature' now in NetBackup (Which I do NOT like, Symantec!!!). It caches the IP for each host configured in NBU and sometimes this can result in the incorrect IP being tied to the hostname. The default TTL for this cached data is one hour, but you can refresh it by running the following command on the Master/Media server(s) and/or clients:

bpclntcmd -clear_host_cache

So, you could see that even though the name resolution may be fixed in DNS or hosts, NBU may still have it cached. I've heard there's a way to reduce the time this is refreshed, but I don't remember where it's at.

The DNS caching behavior is controlled by the 2nd parameter of the
master server's VNET_OPTIONS in bp.conf; units are in seconds.  The
default in 7.0.1 is 1 hour, but we've reduced this to 5 min in our
environment without ill effect:

VNET_OPTIONS = 120 300 200 40 3 1 30 5 1793 32 0 0

   .../Ed