Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Best architecture for deduplication with NetBackup

2010-12-28 08:46:05
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Best architecture for deduplication with NetBackup
From: santoyx <netbackup-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2010 08:46:00 -0500
Hi guys.

I've been studying the NetBackup to understand what would be the best
architecture to fit my needs but I'm confused with dedup features of NetBackup
7. I started reading the deduplication guide until it sad me that the PureDisk
is the best approach. I'm really confused.

My scenario is the following:
I have nine remote offices, which should backup fileserver, MSSQL 2008 and
Hyper-V VM's locally using source deduplication. Then I'd like to replicate the
backuped data to my central DataCenter.
However I'd like to keep the backup/restore capabilities of remote offices
independent from the central DataCenter, ie, the remote officew should restore
their data even if there is no link with the central DataCenter or if I lost
the replicated data at the DataCenter.
Besides I'd like that this replicated data to be deduplicated again at the
DataCenter among all the nine remote offices, deduplicating before sending the
data, if possible.

I have my own storage (CX4-120) at each remote office so I don't need a dedup
appliance with storage within.

What would be the best architecture to get all this? One master server at each
remote office and the same number at the central DataCenter?

Thanks.