Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Catalog Archiving Solution

2010-12-10 15:44:58
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Catalog Archiving Solution
From: "Conner, Neil" <neil AT mbari DOT org>
To: "Jimenez, Daniel" <Daniel.Jimenez AT owb DOT com>, Veritas List <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2010 12:28:42 -0800
The Admin guide covers it in basic terms.  There are a suite of commands like bpcatarc, bpcatlist, bpcatres, etc.  I used it once to archive a portion of my catalog and then recovered it later.  It does what it claims to do, but I did encounter some details that weren’t documented (in 6.5 anyway).  It’s policy-driven and it writes to tape so you have to take the obvious precautions.

Make sure your catalog is in a consistent state before beginning
Catarc does not work if your catalog is NFS mounted
Check for KB articles that go into more detail than the Admin guide

Neil