Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Netbackup 7 compression

2010-12-04 00:09:42
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Netbackup 7 compression
From: bartman10 <netbackup-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2010 10:27:22 -0500
Your question can't be answered better than cprestion did. How much data will
compress almost totally depends on the kind of data.

Try using Windows "send to compressed folder" or 7Zip to see what we're talking
about. Try zipping a directory with MP3 files. They will not compress much, if
at all.

Now try compressing a directory with text files, word docs, excel files... they
will compress really well.

For extra credit, google how to create a file full of zeros and see how that
baby compresses.

This used to be a kind of hack to crash BBS servers back in the day. When you
would upload a file to share they would decompress the file to virus scan it.
You could create a 100mb file of zeros, compress it to like 100kb and upload
it. This is when 100mb was HUGE. it would fill up the servers HD and crash it.
good times :)