Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] (Off Topic) Sun / Oracle ZFS via NDMP Backups

2010-12-01 16:29:01
Subject: [Veritas-bu] (Off Topic) Sun / Oracle ZFS via NDMP Backups
From: "Martin, Jonathan" <JMARTI05 AT intersil DOT com>
To: <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2010 16:28:47 -0500

Is anyone else on the list testing Sun / Oracle’s Unified Storage Systems’ ZFS over NDMP backup methodology? I’ve been struggling to backup millions of tiny files with NFS mounts off a Sun 7210 device, but after recently upgrading the firmware we’ve been testing ZFS over NDMP with great success. In the past a single stream would be lucky to run 4MB/sec so we’ve run aggregated streams. With ZFS, we’re pulling 45MB/sec single stream, and can easily max gigabit with 3 streams. Frankly, it’s hard to believe it’s the same device. Given the significant change we want to migrate to this methodology quickly, but we’re a little hesitant since the new methodology requires a firmware upgrade that can’t be backed out if we run into any issues.

Thanks,

-Jonathan