Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] New netbackup master server spec

2010-11-29 10:59:11
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] New netbackup master server spec
From: Ed Wilts <ewilts AT ewilts DOT org>
To: VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2010 09:59:05 -0600
On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 9:37 AM, xgtdec <netbackup-forum AT backupcentral DOT com> wrote:
64 Gig, would you think thats a minimum, if you could afford more would nbu 7.0 use it? Any other general Spec considerations you would take?

There are a lot of "it depends" here.

It depends on how many jobs you're scheduling and how frequently.  It depends on whether you're a media server as well as a master server. It depends on whether you're doing de-dupe.  It depends on how many restores you're doing and how big those restores are.

Since you have a pair of master servers now, you're in good shape to know what your expected load should look like.   Take the requirements for both servers, add them up, figure out how much you're currently behind the curve, and add your expected growth.

You can pick up a nice DL580 G7 - the "performance" model comes pre-configured with 4 8-core processors and 64GB of RAM.  We're getting one with Linux to replace our aging Solaris-based server but there's no reason you couldn't run Windows on it.

   .../Ed