Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Exchange 2010 DAG backups w/ Netbackup 7.0.1

2010-10-13 08:59:58
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Exchange 2010 DAG backups w/ Netbackup 7.0.1
From: "Jonathan Dyck" <jdyck AT bank-banque-canada DOT ca>
To: <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2010 08:59:41 -0400
Hello list,
I'm hoping someone out there has gone through the pain of trying to
setup Exchange 2010 DAG backups from the passive node.  Reading through
the documentation,  I'm a little unclear on a couple things.  Here's the
rough outline of what I've done so far:

------------
1) Installed the standard NBU 7.0.1 windows client on the passive server
of the DAG (none of the databases are active on this server).  The
client name in the NBU config is the physical name of the server,  not
the DAG AD object name.

I did not install the client on either of the two active servers in the
DAG (3 servers total,  two split the active databases, the third is
completely passive).  Maybe this is a problem and I should install the
client on the active servers too for my test?

2) Verified that my media/master server is 7.0.1 and has the correct
license for Exchange,  and that it can backup regular filesystem files
off of the physical client name of that passive node (networking's all
good).

3) Setup an Exchange policy on the NBU, it has the following properties:
- "Perform snapshot backups" is enabled
- "Enable granular recovery" is disabled
- "Database backup source:" is set to Passive copy only
- My preferred server list has one entry, which is the physical name of
the passive node,  not the DAG name.  Maybe this is a problem?
- I've specified the client name in the policy selection to the DAG name
------------

Can anyone out there take a second to point out any errors in the above
setup?  I'm running into the Status code 26 issue (handshaking failed),
which is supposed to be resolved with 7.0.1, but there's a hotfix I seem
to be able to download.  I'll be going down that road too.  Hopefully
that's all I'm missing.

Cheers,
Jon

La version française suit le texte anglais.

This email may contain privileged and/or confidential information, and the Bank
of
Canada does not waive any related rights. Any distribution, use, or copying of
this
unauthorized. If you received this email in error please delete it immediately
from

Le présent courriel peut contenir de l'information privilégiée ou
confidentielle.
La Banque du Canada ne renonce pas aux droits qui s'y rapportent. Toute
diffusion,
personne autre que le ou les destinataires désignés est interdite. Si vous
recevez
ce courriel par erreur, veuillez le supprimer immédiatement et envoyer sans
délai à
l'expéditeur un message électronique pour l'aviser que vous avez éliminé de
votre
ordinateur toute copie du courriel reçu.