Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Expired Backup ID Doesn't Free Up Some Space

2010-09-29 02:21:20
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Expired Backup ID Doesn't Free Up Some Space
From: Dean <dean.deano AT gmail DOT com>
To: Mark Hickey <Mark.Hickey AT hds DOT com>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 16:21:14 +1000
IBM does tape recycling, and has for decades, first on the mainframe,
and TSM is heavily based on the same concepts as HSM on the mainframe.
They even called it "recycle".... F DFHSM,RECYCLE ALL P(30) EX

It means you can mix up your retentions on a single piece of tape
media, but it also means you have to dedicate a good proportion of
your tape hardware/time to looking after the recycle process (ie -
basically doing tape-to-tape copies every day to filter out the
expired data).

There are pros and cons.

Sorry, I have nothing to add to what Mark has said, other than to call
out his "no vendor does it" :)

Cheers,
Dean