Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Updating bp.conf on a *nix client

2010-09-28 14:31:33
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Updating bp.conf on a *nix client
From: rmg <netbackup-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 14:30:58 -0400
> I'm building a new NBU environment and I want to add the names of my
> new master and two media servers to the bp.conf file on my *nix hosts.
> I picked a box at random, logged in, fired up the bp.conf file in vi
> and added 'SERVER = servername', saved and exited.

In my experience, that does work, without restarting anything on the client.
I've used cfengine to push out a consistent server list to a bunch of unix
clients, for example. I haven't tested this since upgrading to 7.0 though.

> When I try to connect to the client from my new master server, I get a
> status code 59 that the new master isn't allowed to talk to the
> client.

>From what I've seen, that's often related to reverse DNS. The client gets a
connection from some IP, and tries to resolve it into a hostname before
checking the server list (as opposed to going the other way around and
forward-resolving all the hostnames on the server list). You can list IPs in
the server list in case name resolution is completely broken on the client.