Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Updating bp.conf on a *nix client

2010-09-28 12:05:24
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Updating bp.conf on a *nix client
From: Heathe Yeakley <hkyeakley AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 11:05:14 -0500
Greetings List,

--== WHAT I'M TRYING TO ACCOMPLISH ==--

I'm building a new NBU environment and I want to add the names of my
new master and two media servers to the bp.conf file on my *nix hosts.
I picked a box at random, logged in, fired up the bp.conf file in vi
and added 'SERVER = servername', saved and exited.

When I try to connect to the client from my new master server, I get a
status code 59 that the new master isn't allowed to talk to the
client. So I assume I incorrectly edited the bp.conf file. I reopen it
and delete my three 'SERVER = servername' entries.

I want to be able to log into a client machine, edit the bp.conf file
in vi (or some text editor) and have my changes take effect without
having to get the master server involved.

--== WHAT I'VE TRIED SO FAR ==--

Now, if I:

* Log into my current master server
* Go to host properties
* Select the same client
* Go to the servers tab under client properties

and add the three new servers there, I can then switch over to the new
master server and connect to the client.

When I log back into my UNIX client and pull up the bp.conf file, I
see the same entries that I had typed in manually.

So my next thought is "OK, so it isn't enough that you just edit the
bp.conf file. Maybe after I edit the file I need to restart something
on the client side here."

I looked for the netbackup [start | stop] script in
/usr/openv/netbackup/bin and /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/goodies and
didn't find one. I Googled how to restart the NBU client software on a
client and saw several different answers:

* restart xinetd
* run the netbackup [start | stop] script in /usr/openv/netbackup/bin
or /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/goodies
* run /etc/init.d/s[some number]netbackup [start | stop]

I tried all of these suggestions. Restarting xinetd after editing
bp.conf didn't put my changes into effect.

As I already stated, there is no netbackup [start | stop] script in
the aforementioned directories as there are on a master or media
server.

I didn't find a netbackup startup script in my /etc/init.d directory,
nor do I find any file at all named 'netbackup' even if I do:

find / -name netbackup

I browsed the HOWTOs on Symantec's site and noticed they mention the
use of bpsetconfig and bpgetconfig. I made a text file with the new
'SERVER = servername" entries and tried using bpsetconfig. I
discovered that this overwrites the contents of bp.conf on the client,
as opposed to appending the new servers to the existing list.

My last idea was to launch jnbSA with the "-l log.log -lc &" flags and
try to capture the commands that NBU is using when I update the client
from the master server using the GUI.

No dice. The master server makes the updates and logs no activity to
the command log file.

So... I'm stumped. Is it possible to make a simple edit to the bp.conf
file on a client and apply the changes?

- HKY