Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Real World NBU Buffer settings Win2k3

2010-09-24 09:25:51
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Real World NBU Buffer settings Win2k3
From: "Shekel Tal" <Tal.Shekel AT uk.fujitsu DOT com>
To: "Nic Solomons" <Nic.Solomons AT attenda DOT net>, <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2010 14:10:31 +0100

The 64k limit was due to a tcp/ip stack limitation

I have always found larger buffers (256k) generally provide the best performance.

Only if you had lots of small files would I recommend anything less

Flashbackup will definitely improve your performance as the data will not need to be uncompressed prior to passed to the backup device.

The only factor to consider is that flashbackup will also backup the blocks on the drive which are empty – so you backup the entire volume.

I am going to guess you wont see much performance going to disk as you issue is probably not at the backup target as you have a collection of LTO4 drives.

A single LTO4 should be able to backup that entire volume in 6 hours easy – even if the SAN is running at 2GB.

Can you share any info about your disk config?

Is it SAN or internal storage?

How many disks are in the config?

If you run Windows perfmon how are your disk queues looking?

Also – how many split I/O’s are you getting? – ensuring proper file system / volume partition can make a decent difference

Do you have bad disk fragmentation?

All things that can make a difference . . . .