Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Question for NetBackup 7.0 Dedup user OR Data Domain users

2010-08-24 17:56:26
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Question for NetBackup 7.0 Dedup user OR Data Domain users
From: RP Storage <rpstor AT hydra.d-12 DOT net>
To: Travis Kelley <rhatguy AT gmail DOT com>, CAlley AT kforce DOT com, judy_hinchcliffe AT administaff DOT com
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2010 14:56:20 -0700

On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 2:38 PM, Travis Kelley <rhatguy AT gmail DOT com> wrote:
Data domain also has a limit to the amount of data one of their units
can track but its fairly high.  If you need more than 32TB of deduped
data in PD you do need to deploy a seperate puredisk environment. Then
PD just splits the hash space into chunks and stores data on whichever
node it hases to.  I'm not sure what their upper limit is but it can
scale quite high also.

When considering your backup requirements, and the need for scaling, it maybe worthwhile to take a look at a global deduplication offering such as the HYDRAstor Grid architecture.  The platform provides a linear scale-up and scale-out approach, providing in-line global deduplication that is flexible and can grow with you.

If your environments are 24TiB+, it probably makes sense to consider global dedupe, regardless of your vendor.  Any other opinions?

Disclaimer:  I'm an advocate for the HYDRAstor product, and will gladly share additional information for anyone who may be curious.  You may also wish to search for the recent HYDRAstor Demo at Tech Field Day Seattle (GestaltIT), where we recently demonstrated our higher-end configuration processing 50,000 MB/sec.  Yes 50,000 Mega-Bytes per second.

--RP