Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Master server upgrade

2010-08-13 20:38:19
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Master server upgrade
From: "Alley, Chris" <CAlley AT kforce DOT com>
To: "Justin Piszcz" <jpiszcz AT lucidpixels DOT com>, <Rusty.Major AT sungard DOT com>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 20:36:50 -0400
I have done something similar several times in our environment for either lease
returns or to perform a "fail safe" upgrade.  What we have done is as follows...

1. Build out the replacement server as close to the original
2. Present a LUN to the old server and copy /usr/openv to the new LUN
3. Stop all services on the old server when it's time to cut over
4. Run a last sync of the copy to the new /usr/openv LUN
5. Move the new LUN to the new server
6. Shut down the old Master
7. Rename/reIP new master to old masters name/IP
8. Perform install and upgrade of NetBackup on new master
9. Test, test, test

If everything worked well you are on your new server, if there is a problem,
you take the new server off the network, and power back on your old server and
troubleshoot with the original catalog untouched...that's just how I do it so
that I have safe upgrades or server migrations.

Chris Alley, MCSE
Sr. Data Protection Administrator
Kforce Technology Services
813-552-1388
www.kforce.com

Great People = Great Results®

Confidentiality Notice: This email message, including any attachments, is for
the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and/or
privileged information.  Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or
contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original.