Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Java Admin Console on Linux

2010-07-28 16:55:29
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Java Admin Console on Linux
From: <Rusty.Major AT sungard DOT com>
To: Heathe Yeakley <hkyeakley AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 15:54:29 -0500

Not a cooler way, but if you want to run multiple Java GUIs on the same workstation, just do the base install into different directories. I typically make them <install path>\Java\60, <install path>\Java\65, etc. You woun't have any issues and the patches can find the appropriate version and install without issue as well. I've run 4.5, 5.1, 6.0, 6.5 and 7.0 all one the same workstation before.

I do like the remote X display as I would no longer have to worry about patching the workstations every time, however X always seems slow for me.

Rusty Major, MCSE, BCFP, VCS ▪ Sr. Storage Engineer ▪ SunGard Availability Services ▪ 757 N. Eldridge Suite 200, Houston TX 77079 ▪ 281-584-4693
Keeping People and Information Connected® ▪ http://availability.sungard.com/
P Think before you print
CONFIDENTIALITY:  This e-mail (including any attachments) may contain confidential, proprietary and privileged information, and unauthorized disclosure or use is prohibited.  If you received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender and delete this e-mail from your system.

Heathe Yeakley <hkyeakley AT gmail DOT com>
Sent by: <veritas-bu-bounces AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>

07/28/2010 09:59 AM

Nate Sanders <sandersn AT dmotorworks DOT com>
cc
"VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU" <VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Subject
Re: [Veritas-bu] Java Admin Console on Linux

It's been a while since I've installed NetBackup, but I thought the
java files (if you want to run it as a remote X application) were
included in the base install. Log into your Linux master and check if
you have the server side Java console.

# file /usr/openv/java/jnbSA

I assume you might be talking about installing the Java console on a
workstation. If so, I forget which disk has those files, but I'll
look. I've used both methods for running the NetBackup console:
installing the Java console on my local machine and running jnbSA off
my master server via remote X windows. I actually prefer the latter
for two reasons:

1) If you upgrade NetBackup on your master server and you're relying
on the workstation Java Console, you have to upgrade the Java Console
on your local workstation also.

2) If you have multiple NetBackup environments running different
versions. I have 3 environments, two 6.0 and one 6.5. I tried
installing the 6.0 Java console and the 6.5 Java console on my local
workstation and had issues.

Now I use a remote X emulator (mobaxterm.... love it) and I just log
in and run '/usr/openv/java/jnbSA &' to administer any environment. I
don't have to know what level NBU is currently running. It's the same
command every time.

Just my two cents. If you have a cooler way, I'd love to hear it!!

- HKY