Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] NDMP backups from Netapp using Netbackup

2010-07-27 18:24:23
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] NDMP backups from Netapp using Netbackup
From: <Rusty.Major AT sungard DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 17:24:07 -0500

There is or was an 'issue' with NDMP where the dump levels for incrementals rolled past 9 and went back to 0, causing a full and it would stay at dump level 0 until the next scheduled full ran. I cannot find a technote or any documentation on it, but I believe it was related to cumulative incs only (since that is dump level 2-9) and a schedule where the cumulatives were set to run more than the available dump levels. So the first 8 days you would be ok, but on the ninth and subesquent cumulative inc days you got a full.

I am not sure if this ever got fixed or not and we experienced this with NBU 5.1 probably 3-4 years ago.

Rusty Major, MCSE, BCFP, VCS ▪ Sr. Storage Engineer ▪ SunGard Availability Services ▪ 757 N. Eldridge Suite 200, Houston TX 77079 ▪ 281-584-4693
Keeping People and Information Connected® ▪ http://availability.sungard.com/
P Think before you print
CONFIDENTIALITY:  This e-mail (including any attachments) may contain confidential, proprietary and privileged information, and unauthorized disclosure or use is prohibited.  If you received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender and delete this e-mail from your system.

n_ashwin <netbackup-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
Sent by: <veritas-bu-bounces AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>

07/27/2010 06:46 AM
Please respond to
VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU

VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU
cc
Subject
[Veritas-bu]  NDMP backups from Netapp using Netbackup

One of my customers says that his NDMP incrementals are 3TB in size, while his full backup size is 6TB. However, when he checks for the block changes in Netapp console,it reports block changes amounting to 60GB

I was of the impression that NDMP incrementals happen at the block level, in which case his incremental size had to be around 60GB.

Can someone explain to me why this is so.

Appreciate if you could get down to nuts and bolts and tell me how NDMP treats incrementals/level backups.

dp_nash