Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Your catalog size?

2010-07-22 19:47:00
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Your catalog size?
From: A Darren Dunham <ddunham AT taos DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2010 23:46:20 +0000
On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 09:49:38AM -0600, Donaldson, Mark wrote:
> So - as a sanity check of the huge catalogs, how do you feel about a 1-2
> TB catalog?  Anybody running close to these sizes?

Can't say I'm happy with it, but I'm at 2TB right now (6.0MP5 on
Linux).  I actually had my raid array corrupt itself, so I had to do a
full recovery back in December.  It wasn't significantly smaller then.

More than recovery time, I just get annoyed with the backup time.
Backups start off pretty OK, but over time the filesystem gets really
fragmented and speeds suck.  Last full took 18 hours.  Peak speeds are
closer to 60MB/s (and it runs that fast all the time if I can rebuild
the filesystem).

I've got a lot of "infinite" stuff in the catalog that won't age out
directly, so I'm going to have to trim it myself soon.  Very annoying.

--
Darren