Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Nbu 7.0

2010-07-15 09:52:27
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Nbu 7.0
From: Ed Wilts <ewilts AT ewilts DOT org>
To: "Lightner, Jeff" <jlightner AT water DOT com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2010 08:52:13 -0500
On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 7:06 AM, Lightner, Jeff <jlightner AT water DOT com> wrote:

As to not running on CentOS – The only thing I know of off the top of my head that blows up on install is Oracle products but that is simply because they put a routine in that tells it which OSes they’re allowed to run on.

I'm a long-time Linux admin - my RHCE goes back to 2004 - and have seen HP products fail to install and heard from our NetApp SE that at least one of their products won't install either.   Yeah, you can hack both to make them work.

I’d disagree with what you say about the release cycle of CentOS – since its releases are tied to RHEL’s it has the same release cycle (delayed somewhat).

There are no guarantees with CentOS.  They take the published sources and recompile them, sometimes with different options, are known to install different libraries, and they do not necessarily using the same compilers and options that Red Hat uses to build RHEL.

As I said before, it's highly likely you can make it work.  But when you're dropping tens to hundreds of thousands of bucks for your NBU licenses, server hardware, and backup hardware and media, saving a grand over 3 years doesn't make a lot of sense to me.  If you spend more than 3 or 4 days over 3 years trying to decide if you have a CentOS-specific issue or have to research specific patches in CentOS vs RHEL, you've blow away all of your savings.  And yes, I spent a bunch of hours trying to simply get a client release installed way back when because of libraries that were installed by default on RHEL weren't installed by default on CentOS.

If you have a lot of systems, you can potentially save a lot of money running CentOS instead of buying a RHEL subscription especially if there's a lot of commonality amongst them.  The odds are high that you'll have only 1 or 2 master servers.  I can make a lot more money for my company solving hard problems than researching stupid one-off issues in a release that the vendor won't even support.

    .../Ed

Ed Wilts, RHCE, BCFP, BCSD, SCSP, SCSE
ewilts AT ewilts DOT org