Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Netbackup 7.0 dedup

2010-07-12 13:14:08
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Netbackup 7.0 dedup
From: "Mark Glazerman" <Mark.Glazerman AT spartech DOT com>
To: <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 12:13:52 -0500

We have been playing with the new dedup option in a small test environment pushing data from 2 clients through a windows 2008 media server to a 2TB lun presented to that same server.  We have things setup to dedup at the media server, not the client and have each of these 2 clients in their own policy.

After the initial full backup of these clients, netbackup reported 98-99% deduplication on subsequent fulls we ran which is fantastic.  However, even with these numbers inside NBU, the amount of storage being used seems excessive (currently over 80%).  Support are telling me that it can take several weeks for the math behind the numbers to actually start accurately reporting the compression figures but I guess I don’t understand how 2 clients which total about 850GB and have a  minimal change rate, when reporting 98 or 99% compression inside NBU, can be using so much space.

Does anyone else have any experience with the dedup option and did you see similar disparity after your initial implementation ?

As a point of reference, when setting up the disk pool, we took all the defaults inside the wizard.

Thanks in advance

Mark Glazerman

Enterprise Storage Administrator

Spartech Corporation

Desk: 314-889-8282

Fax: 314-854-8282

Cell: 618-520-3401

mark.glazerman AT spartech DOT com

http://www.spartech.com

P please don't print this e-mail unless you really need to

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential, are intended solely for the use of the addressee, and may be legally privileged. If you have received this email in error please notify the sender immediately, and do not copy or forward it.