Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Performance tuning Windows 2008 client

2010-07-08 13:59:44
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Performance tuning Windows 2008 client
From: Wayne T Smith <WTSmith AT maine DOT edu>
To: veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2010 13:59:31 -0400
(Knowing nothing about Win2008R2 and little about VMs, ...)

I'd want to get together with my network folks to see if I'm getting dropped packets during the test.
Misconfigured connections and overloaded routers can kill performance.

I'd also look at windows performance stats ... perhaps memory is a problem?

As with anything, you want to slice and dice away possibilities.
How fast can you get the data off "disk"?
How fast can you FTP a decent-sized file to your media server? to a more-close-by machine?
Is your disk on the same network as backup?

I've seen numbers like yours on incremental backups and with systems with network problems,
but with only 35K files, I'd expect 10-40 times what you are seeing, even on a VM.

Cheers, Wayne