Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] isilon backup accelerator

2010-06-09 19:27:20
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] isilon backup accelerator
From: A Darren Dunham <ddunham AT taos DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2010 23:27:09 +0000
On Mon, Jun 07, 2010 at 09:03:12AM -0500, Ed Wilts wrote:
> If you have a NetApp filer (and there may be other NAS heads that have the
> same functionality) that have multiple security models on the same data,
> this approach simply will not work.  We have some file systems that use both
> Unix and NTFS security so backing the data up using either CIFS or NFS will
> miss the rest of the security information.

Just a note on this point.  Don't know about other systems, but Netapp
says that CIFS backups do properly save UNIX security info.  It's saved
in a SMB structure.

NFS cannot carry the NTFS ACLS though.  So conceivably you can do all
CIFS backups and get all security structures.  (I do NDMP and have
mainly UNIX servers, so it's not something I've tried to test).

--
Darren