Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Need to backup a server in the extranet.

2010-05-28 17:24:30
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Need to backup a server in the extranet.
From: Jim VandeVegt <Jim.Vandevegt AT physiciansmutual DOT com>
To: "veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu" <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2010 16:21:28 -0500
I have this in my 'bag of tricks' under the heading of DMZ client setup:

* Add client to a policy and install the client binaries on the client.
* In the administration GUI expand NetBackup Management, expand Host Properties, and click on Master Servers. In the RHS pane, right click on the master server and select Properties. A new window will open.
* In the LHS tree of this new window, select Firewall. In the RHS pane add the name of the client and its attributes:
Use connect-back: not checked
Ports: bullet on Use reserved ports (this setting may not matter)
Daemon connection port: bullet on VNETD only.
* In the LHS tree select Client Attributes. In the RHS pane select or add the client. General tab attributes:
No connect-back: checked.
*The network firewall has to allow connections on ports 13724 and 13782 originating from the media server to the client in the DMZ.
Now that I read it, and some of the replies so far, I wonder if both ports are actually needed from trusted (media server) to untrusted (client), but at least this process restricts the connections to being in the desired direction, rather than untrusted to trusted.

Jim VandeVegt | Technical Integrator, ETG

Physicians Mutual | 2600 Dodge Street | Omaha, NE 68131

402.930.2649 | PhysiciansMutual.com | Jim.VandeVegt AT PhysiciansMutual DOT com

Insurance for all of us.™

health | life | retirement