Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Architectural question (staging)

2010-05-27 18:17:49
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Architectural question (staging)
From: "Peters, Devon C" <Peters.Devon AT con-way DOT com>
To: "veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu" <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 15:17:31 -0700
Just gonna throw in my $.02...

We use DSSU’s in our primary datacenter, and have it setup on 12 x 9TB filesystems using VXFS (on Linux).  Each filesystem is made from a 9+1 RAID group configured as a single LUN (1TB SATA drives).  We try to keep at least 7 days worth of data on the filesystems.

We allow 40 concurrent jobs to each filesystem, and regularly see between 200-300MB/s write throughput to a single filesystem – the disks rarely reach even 90% busy.  Using VXFS, we’ve never seen an issue with fragmentation – we get the same performance today as we did when they were implemented 2+ years ago, and we have never run a VXFS defrag.

For destaging, we use a single LTO3 or LTO4 tape drive for each filesystem.  If the data is mostly large backup images, then the filesystems keep up with the tape drives without issue – filesystem reads will be around 100-200MB/s and the disks don’t exceed 60% utilization.

When the backup images are mostly small incrementals, the destaging performance is quite a bit lower – usually in the 50-80MB/s range, I’ve assumed it’s due to some sort of tape drive repositioning/backhitch/etc for each image, but I don’t really know.  Since the total amount of data to be destaged is usually not very large, it doesn’t really matter to us, since it meets our windows for getting images destaged.

Worth noting, is that we also force disk I/O’s writes to be 256k, using SIZE_DATA_BUFFERS_DISK.  I don’t recall what the default size is, but I do know that in benchmarking the system before deployment we found that this size provided noticeably better throughput.  Also, when destaging I believe that the tape buffer size is forced to the same size that is configured for the disk (or maybe it’s the other way around, where disk read I/O’s get forced to the same size as the tape I/O’s)...Anyhow, if you’re seeing slow destaging performance, and the disks aren’t 100% busy, then be sure you look at the buffer sizes configured, and the size of the actual I/O’s being issued.

-devon