Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Slow Linux Flashbackup

2010-05-27 10:50:57
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Slow Linux Flashbackup
From: "Martin, Jonathan" <JMARTI05 AT intersil DOT com>
To: <VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 10:50:01 -0400
I'm running a POC for Linux Flashbackup. I've got a 5.7TB VxFS partition
under VxVM with about 1.1TB of data on it. If I backup the data on the
partition with a standard policy I consistently see >30MB/sec.  If I run
the same dataset with Flashbackup I get <1MB/sec. I get the same result
for Flashbackup both with and without the VXFS_snapshot configured. The
client is CentOS 5.3 with the 6.5.6 client. Master / media is Windows
2003 with 6.5.6 enterprise.

When I run the flashbackup policy I get the following warnings in the
job details:

5/27/2010 10:31:29 AM - Warning bpbrm(pid=8880) from client: WRN -
Unable to backup VxFS Named Data Streams, vxfs_nattr_check failed.
Errno = 22: Invalid argument
5/27/2010 10:31:29 AM - Warning bpbrm(pid=8880) from client: WRN -
/dev/vx/dsk/dg1/vol1 is a block special file. Backing up the raw
partition.

I've tried running both the /dev/vx/dsk/dg1/vol1 and the
/dev/vx/rdsk/dg1/vol1 selections with similar results. I've also changed
the /usr/openv/netbackup/FBU_READBLKS touch file per the Performance
Tuning guide.

Does anyone know where I can start troubleshooting this?

-Jonathan