Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] RMAN crosscheck

2010-05-25 19:54:52
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] RMAN crosscheck
From: Dean <dean.deano AT gmail DOT com>
To: Jared Still <jkstill AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Wed, 26 May 2010 09:54:46 +1000
Are you sure RMAN actually knows about the tape an image is on? If it does, that is just silly. It should just ask for a backupid, then NBU will give it the correct tape, regardless of whether it's a duped or vault copy or whatever. I've always been sure that that's the way it worked (Although, I'm not a DBA and don't know that much about RMAN).

Why would RMAN, if it's using the sbt_tape "pipe" to talk to NBU, need to know media details? It doesn't make any sense. I can understand it if you're using RMAN without NBU to write straight to tape, but if RMAN is just piping data to NBU, why would it need to double up on NBUs media management?

Does RMAN also track disk STUs? I know in our environment, we write all our Oracle archive log backups to a DSSU, then they get moved out to tape and deleted from the DSSU within a day or so. We restore regularly (to development), and it always works fine, regardless of whether the archive log backups are still on disk or have been moved to tape. Does that mean RMAN is aware of the destage process? I highly doubt it.