Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Retaining Date for 20 years+

2010-05-19 08:05:15
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Retaining Date for 20 years+
From: David Magda <dmagda AT ee.ryerson DOT ca>
To: "WEAVER, Simon (external)" <simon.weaver AT astrium.eads DOT net>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 07:36:30 -0400
On May 19, 2010, at 02:39, WEAVER, Simon (external) wrote:

> Thanks for this. Yes, this is one method, but what about a backup
> solution - ie: now 20 years out of date, no media, no server to
> restore
> to and in a format unknown to todays backup systems.
>
> What would you do then?  :-)
> the client does not seem bothered, and is happy to destroy the Data.
> But
> if you are a banking client or someone that needs access to 20+ yr
> Data,
> then surely your planning has to account for this? Or maybe another
> solution?

Whatever component is missing (media, drive, computer, etc.) will have
to be found on eBay.

Once you have the missing component(s), you have to restore the data.
Once that is done you transfer it to a machine that has a more up-to-
date backup client and bring it into your regular backup system.

Of course archiving is different than backup (or so it's repeatedly
said). I've never had to deal with it, so couldn't really talk about
the differences much.