Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Off Topic: Firmware and driver versions?

2010-05-13 03:59:36
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Off Topic: Firmware and driver versions?
From: "Shekel Tal" <Tal.Shekel AT uk.fujitsu DOT com>
To: "Ed Wilts" <ewilts AT ewilts DOT org>, "Marianne Van Den Berg" <mvdberg AT stortech.co DOT za>
Date: Thu, 13 May 2010 08:59:11 +0100

This may go without saying but I think an important point is to standardise as much as possible.

This will make future troubleshooting and stability easier to control.

Very often your library vendor will dictate the level of firmware for tape devices but more importantly they will recommend for all the devices to be on the same version of firmware.

Regarding HBA firmware I would probably look for advice from the switch manufacturer they connect to.

Again – as much as possible – try to ensure you are using common, hba, firmware revisions and drivers across the estate.

This isn’t always easy – especially when you order kit over various timelines and they could ship with different firmware revisions but it is a good goal.

When you start to mix firmware things can get quite confusing as sometime you could end up with SAN problems and not necessarily know exactly which initiator/target/switch is causing a problem

Regards,

Tal