Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Architectural question (staging)

2010-05-05 16:43:32
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Architectural question (staging)
From: Bryan Bahnmiller <bbahnmiller AT dtcc DOT com>
To: veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Wed, 5 May 2010 15:43:20 -0500

Agreed.

  Also, be aware that you will typically not be able to stream data to a disk array as fast as you can to tape drives. (Assuming LTO3 or 4 type performance.) Unless you have a pretty beefy disk array with your RAID configured for streaming. The nice part is that since it is disk, small backups and slow backups won't have "shoeshine" problems like you would with tape.

   I like to set a high water mark on the disk to keep it at 85% or lower. Generally, 85% full is the point where disk performance starts getting hit hard. Fragmentation will also start hitting the performance hard at that point too.

   I've yet to see de-staging perform well no matter what the disk array used for the DSSU.

        Bryan

Ed Wilts <ewilts AT ewilts DOT org>
Sent by: veritas-bu-bounces AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu

05/05/2010 03:05 PM

Victor Engle <victor.engle AT gmail DOT com>
cc
veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Subject
Re: [Veritas-bu] Architectural question (staging)