Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Large SAP backup problem

2010-05-05 15:07:24
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Large SAP backup problem
From: luciano prata <netbackup-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 05 May 2010 14:36:19 -0400
Hello,

I have a problem with one backup, this backup now have more than 10 Tb, it?s a
SAP base backup, my problem is because this backup take more than 36 hours to
finish, the throughput is not bad, its do 4 jobs with 15Mb/s per job totally
60Mb/s but my backup window is only 13 hours for 06:00 PM to 07:00 AM and I
don?t know what I have to do to take this backup more fast. Below the
description for my environment.

I have one NBU master Server Solaris and 3 media servers with NBU 6.5.2 in all
servers and clients.

One media solaris attached to a SL500 library with 7 drives
One media solaris attached to the same SL500 and a VTL with 24 virtual drives
One media AIX attached to a VTL with 48 virtual drives

The AIX media server is on a P595 and these is the same machine than the server
I need to backup, there is a Shared Ethernet Adapter controlled by a Virtual IO
server to shared all the network card for this P595 to create the backup
network.

I tested these backup with all the media servers, VTL and SL500 and it?s the
same throughput.
I tested with 2 jobs, 4 jobs, 9 jobs and it?s the same throughput.
Tested multiplexing, the same throughput.
Online and offline backups, the same throughput.

I have a SAP client to do this backup, and I think the AIX media server is the
best to do this because it?s the same machine, and my question is, there is
other way to do this backup more fast?

Thanks,

Atenciosamente,
Luciano Prata