Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Media & Master Server

2010-05-03 17:00:05
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Media & Master Server
From: Jeff Cleverley <jeff.cleverley AT avagotech DOT com>
To: Nate Sanders <sandersn AT dmotorworks DOT com>
Date: Mon, 3 May 2010 14:59:57 -0600
Nate,

The main reason to have multiple media servers is to decrease the load
somewhere.  If you are maxing the I/O on your master and have a lot of
data on a single server, making that server a media server so that it
backs up to itself or something like that would take load off your
master server and your network.

If you current server is handling the load fine because most of your
data goes via the NDMP backups directly to the library, then
additional media servers probably won't help you that much.

If you do set up additional servers keep in mind you will may need
additional licenses for the media server and SSO licenses for the tape
drives assuming they will all share.

Jeff

On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 2:48 PM, Nate Sanders <sandersn AT dmotorworks DOT com>
wrote:
> Our current environment has a single master/media server. We're on NBU
> 5.1 on Linux with a StorageTek SL500 with 6 drives (2 for NDMP) and
> around 400 tapes. We have about 240TB in the library. We're working on
> laying out a plan to upgrade to 7.0 via 6.5. We are generally running
> backups 24/7 and Vault once a week for off-site.
>
> My big question is what are the advantages or disadvantages to splitting
> the master/media and for our size, how important is this? What are the
> individual performance needs of these if they are separated?
>
> --
> Nate Sanders            Digital Motorworks
> System Administrator      (512) 692 - 1038

> addressee and may contain information that is privileged and confidential. If
> the reader of the message is not the intended recipient or an authorized
> representative of the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any
> received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by e-mail
> and delete the message and any attachments from your system.

Jeff Cleverley
Unix Systems Administrator
4380 Ziegler Road
Fort Collins, Colorado 80525