Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] NDMP Restores Slooooooooooooooow

2010-04-26 16:17:25
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] NDMP Restores Slooooooooooooooow
From: A Darren Dunham <ddunham AT taos DOT com>
To: veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2010 20:17:09 +0000
On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 04:01:01PM +0100, Whelan, Patrick wrote:
> Has anyone else seen this? When I say slow I mean 150 to 300 KB/Sec.
>
> Windoze master
> Netapps NDMP
> NBU 6.5.3

Could be a lot of things.

With some versions of ontap 7.2, there's a bug that it reads the catalog
off the tape slowly.  If the backup image is large, the catalog is big
and can take a long time to read.  I had a large backup (~10TB, 60M
files) where the catalog took about 60 hours to read.  Then the rest of
the time was normal.  It would take another few minutes to restore one
file (DAR enabled), or another few hours to restore the whole 10TB.

7.3 fixes that particular problem, but I don't know if that's what
you're running into or not.

--
Darren