Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Nic Utilization

2010-04-08 19:59:31
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Nic Utilization
From: Gary Gatling <gsgatlin AT eos.ncsu DOT edu>
To: Veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2010 19:59:20 -0400 (EDT)

Hello,

We had a simple setup with several file servers (AFS) and one master / media server and one robot with two drives. The file servers and the master / media server were connected via eth0 or bge0 actually to the regular LAN. But eth1 bge1 was connected to a private switch. The afs file servers were configured to only use eth0 or bge0 and the bge1 eth1 nic was assigned a private host name. (/etc/hosts) Netbackup was configured with the clients to use these private names, eg: real name engr06f and then we have engr06f-prv. Netbackup used engr06f-prv, so all the backups went over the private network. I understand this setup is pretty common. The gentleman who set it up in the first place told me that as I inherited it when he moved to greener pastures. :)

Now another group runs a bigger netbackup system that we hook into here at NCSU and it has lots of media servers. But now everything (file server stuff and backups) runs on the primary nic and the other ports go unused. But because they have more (virtual) tape drives the backups go much faster because it can run 5 streams for 5 partitions. We don't see issues with the file servers being noticeably slower during backups with the new setup. We're backing up about 2TB of data total with these servers.

Hope that helped.

Gary Gatling      | ITECS Systems
ITECS, BOX 7901   | Operations and Systems Analyst
NCSU, Raleigh, NC | Email: gsgatlin AT eos.ncsu DOT edu
27695-7901        | Phone: (919) 513-4572 (5C Page Hall)

On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 2:33 PM, Heathe Kyle Yeakley <hkyeakley AT gmail DOT com>