Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Backing up unformatted primary partitions

2010-04-08 13:18:49
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Backing up unformatted primary partitions
From: "Nardello, John" <john.nardello AT cgi DOT com>
To: Jonathan Dyck <jdyck AT bank-banque-canada DOT ca>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2010 13:18:17 -0400
Quick check, you said you tried backing this up already - do you mean as a raw partition ? i.e. File list looked something like:
     \\.\E:

If that's not working for you then I agree with Jeff, the best you could hope for would be removing the single point of failure by using a clone of some kind.
If that does work.....then you'll need to quiescence that volume somehow (backup mode, shutdown the app, whatever) before the backup, or go with a clone of the LUN and then back up the clone as a raw partition.

Just make sure to test restores before you sign off on the final version. =)

- John Nardello