Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Error 50 for all backups

2010-04-06 10:45:22
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Error 50 for all backups
From: "Shekel Tal" <Tal.Shekel AT uk.fujitsu DOT com>
To: <VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2010 15:44:55 +0100
When you sent your original email you said your jobs were frequently
being killed with error 50 so it sounded like they would fail with error
50 while the server was running. Is it just one or two or do a whole
collection of jobs seem to die together during the backup window? Or do
you just come into the office and notice the jobs have died with error
50?

If it's a collection - next time you observe the error occurring run
/usr/sbin/swap -l or /usr/sbin/swap -s and check how much free swap
space you have.
Alternatively setup a cron job to run the swap and date command every
minute or so and output it to a txt file so you can track what is
happening.

You should also run an all log entry report during covering the timeline
of the error and look for any "fork" errors

If you think the system could be getting rebooted during the backup
window you can check by:

Run the uptime command and check how long you system has been up for
You can also just hit "w" and enter.
Or you can also check the /var/adm/messages file
Check if a reboot could have occurred during your backup window

Good luck :-)