Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Why SAN speed is too much slow

2010-03-30 20:04:45
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Why SAN speed is too much slow
From: qiblatain <netbackup-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 18:49:31 -0400
My Netbackup server is connected to the File server via LAN. My same Netbackup
server is connected to the SAN Switch via Fiber. The File server is also
connected to the SAN Switch via Fiber. SAN Switch is connected to one Robot
Library having shared tape drive. I have done the necessary zonning required on
the SAN Switch to take the traffice on the SAN. I am able to take the backup of
the File Server through SAN using Media Server. I have done all the necessary
tunning & buffering in order to increase the speed, it has increased the speed
but not adequate.

The speed for my backups is 10 MB/S. I have checked even the performance graph
on the SAN Switch. At  port number 3 SAN Switch is receiving nearly 55 MB/S but
suddenly it's speed lowers down at nearly 10 MB/S and start transmitting at the
same speed to tape library. At other end the end from the port 5 of the SAN
Switch to the Tape Libraray the speed again becomes fast.

Is it possibe that the SAN Switch is not properly configured. Because I have
done everything in order to increase the speed from the Netbackup end. I even
have checked the console of the tape library but to no avail. Can any body
guide me what are the necessary actions i can take in order to get the desired
result for the SAN.
I am using Windows Netbackup server 6.5.3. This Netbackup server is installed
on the 2003 R2. I have made the File Server (FS02), as the second (additional)
media server for SAN having version 6.5.2. The File Server (FS02) has Windows
2008. This File Server (FS02) is clustered with another File Server having name
FS03.

The problem for the low speed is possible due to some cluster issue?

Waiting for Quick responses.