Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] LTO-5 tape, what will it be called in NBU? hcart2?

2010-03-19 15:30:58
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] LTO-5 tape, what will it be called in NBU? hcart2?
From: Ed Wilts <ewilts AT ewilts DOT org>
To: Justin Piszcz <jpiszcz AT lucidpixels DOT com>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 14:30:51 -0500
On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 2:04 PM, Justin Piszcz <jpiszcz AT lucidpixels DOT com> wrote:
While this is cool, I am still waiting for the announcement and pricing on
the IBM/Fujitsu(?) 35TB/tape technology.

Unless you never plan on taking your tapes out of the library or have some VERY fast hardware, 35TB/tape doesn't do much except send a lot of empty tape off-site.

35TB is 35,000,000 MB.  At 100MB/sec, that 350,000 seconds or a bit over 97 hours. In other words, you'd be writing for 4 straight days averaging 100MB/sec to fill a tape.  Assuming you only write to a tape during a 12-hour backup window, 7/8 of your tape will be unused.

I'm personally waiting for an environment here where I can sustain writing to all of my tape drives at 100MB/sec.  I can't drive all of my LTO-3 drives at full speed.  Having drives that demand a lot more than that just contributes to a lot more stop/start.

   .../Ed

Ed Wilts, RHCE, BCFP, BCSD, SCSP, SCSE
ewilts AT ewilts DOT org